Heath Ledger and the role of celebrities
So, Heath is dead.
I found out after chelsea texted me saying "HEATH IS DEAD!" and I replied with "WHO??". I honestly didn't (and still don't) really know who he was. I had heard is name but I didn't have any idea about what kind of person he had really been.
Ever since I was in middle school I have noticed that I'm a bit out of touch with the celebrity world. I can only name a few specific actors, maybe 10 total. I always thought this was a bad thing. People idolize these people! Why don't I know more about them?? Maybe I should, but i've come to the conclusion that this isn't a problem for me personally.
A celebrity is defined as a well known and/or famous person. Its a well known fact that if your a celebrity your always going to have the media after you. ITS NEWSWORTHY BECAUSE PEOPLE WANT TO KNOW ALL ABOUT THEM-its "juicy", dramatic news, most of the time. America-and the world for that matter-wants to know about these people. We idolize them. For some people this is a good thing. Most people think its good to have a role model. I remember having to write about them in school, without actually having one. Its good for people having role models, but I dont think younger kids are getting the best.
(Im sorry but..) I don't really care that he died, in the sense that in didn't make a difference to my life. I don't think we need to waste our time on learning every little detail about celebrities lives. Besides, we're just supporting the media bombarding these people trying to live their lives every time we buy People Magazine.
Labels: celebrities

2 Comments:
Its always good to stay in touch with the celeb world. They're always good for a laugh or two. (And it's always interesting to see who will be the next top contender of the world's greatest idiot fest...)
Maybe it's just me, but I don't like the idea of celebrities being role models. I don't follow them at all either, but the little snippets of things I hear about makes me think that would not be a good thing. For example, how has it been decided that Heath Ledger died? Drug overdose or something? I personally don't consider that role model worthy, though maybe it's just me.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home