Thursday, April 3, 2008

The

Nova Express-William S. Burroughs
I love this book and I would recommend it to anyone. I was really excited when I found a first edition copy of this book at Half Price Books. William S. Burroughs is famous for his cut up style of writing and this is one of the first books where he uses this technique. He is said to be the father of the beat generation and was one of the 4 men who started this movement. Nova Express is about nuclear war and is part of a trilogy.
The Happy Birthday of Death-Gregory Corso
Gregory Corso is one of the lesser known members of the beat generation. I didn't know much about him so I decided to pick this book up at City Lights in San Fran along with Dr.Sax. Its a good mix of goofy poems(with some "deepness" shining through) and more intellectual poems. Its nice to be able to sit down and read a poem for just a couple minutes a day.
Dr.Sax-Jack Kerouac
After reading On the Road and The Subbteraneans I couldn't wait to get another Kerouac book. This book is about his childhood in Lowell Massachusetts growing up playing baseball and being Catholic. Its a classic..I'm really enjoying it so far. If you haven't read On the Road you really must.

I normally read a lot of books at the same time. It sure would be nice if we could somehow read our own independent books once in this class. We could still do entries on them too.

2 Comments:

Blogger CLASSICKK said...

I wasn't aware you were such a big fan of the beat culture, Michelle. Haha. I'm not sure if I'll pick up any of those books for myself though, since I got tired of On the Road, honestly. After a while, it was just, "Does he ever stop?"

imo.

April 6, 2008 at 9:34 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

oh goodness kathryn. well at least you tried.
are you kidding me im a HUGE fan!! I wrote quite a lrage post about the beats alittle while ago.
jacks other books arent quite as fast paced, just written in the same style.

April 7, 2008 at 11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home